The students on EA7 (English) were faced with the following online writing task.
Below you can see some of their posts:
Antti & Tiitus
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Use public transportation, or walk or bike instead of using a car.
- Don't use airplanes often, it contaminates the atmosphere.
- Shut off lights.
- Don't keep electronic equipments on if you are not using them. It consumes unnecessary electricity.
- Don't wash half empty washing mashine. If you can wash your goods without a mashine, that's even better.
- Don't shower too long.
- Buy locally grown or organic food and don't eat animal products so much.
- Don't use chemicals, natural things are better.
- Keep air conditioner on only when you truly need it. Many people keep it on for nothing. If you are feeling cold, put on more clothes rather than putting on more heat in your air conditioner.
- Make sure that you have a good insulation in your house. Otherwise the cold air will come in to the house and you need to put heat on your air conditioner.
- If you use stove or oven, cook as many different dishes as possible, because heating the oven takes much energy, so you migh as well use it all.
Cut down on waste!
- Don't throw food away. If you can't finish your food, save it for later.
- Recycle everything. Give your old clothes to charity rather than throwing them away.
- Seperate and recycle your carbage. Some of them can be used again.
- Don't waste paper, trees are not going to grow forever.
- Start a home compost. It's a good way to get rid of your waste.
- Use reusable things rather than disposable ones. For example when you are packing your lunch.
Nelli & Aurora
Our own ways of energy saving
Leo & Theo
|Topias and Roope|
Normal people like us can not affect the environment on a great scale but individuals can make a change by doing smaller deeds. First of all people should be more aware of their consumption habits. An easy way of cutting down individual’s emissions is for example by using public transportation. Using for example a bus is a greener way to travel. People should also favor domestic products and locally produced goods. At home people should try to save energy as much as possible by for example turning off the lights and lowering the temperature. Recycling is an easy way to cut down on straining the nature. Recycling your old clothes and buying other people’s old clothes is an effective way to save earth’s resources. Saving water is also important, by closing the tap while brushing your teeth saves a lot of water and also taking shorter showers can help a lot.
Ronja and Sanna
1. Turn off the lights when you leave the room
-leaving the lights on is a waste of energy and you should make a habit of turning them off every time you leave the room
2. Use public transportation or a bicycle, walk if possible
-if you are going somewhere close, walking is the most energy-effficient way of traveling, otherwise use public transport or a bicycle
3. Decrease heating in your home
-heating your home consumes a lot of energy, so it's recommended that you set the heating as low as possible
4. Choose lightly packaged products in stores
-packaging materials, namely plastic, require a lot of resources to be produced
5. Use rechargeable batteries instead of disposable ones
-you can use rechargeable batteries over and over again, therefore they are the greener option
6. Heat your food in a microwave instead of an oven
-microvawes use less energy than ovens do
7. Wash your dishes manually, don't use a dishwasher
-doing your dishes manually saves a lot of energy and water compared to using a dishwasher
8. Use water conservatively
-i.e. don't let the water run while brushing your teeth
9. Use energy-saving lamps
-they are more efficient than regular ones
10. Take quick showers
-quick showers save water and energy
11. Eat local or organic food
-local or organic food is a greener option because it comes from nearby and is produced in an enviromentally friendly way
12. Recycle your waste
-recycling is an easy way to conserve energy
13. Buy electronics that consume less energy
-energy-efficient electronic devices are sometimes more expensive, but are worth the extra price
14. Stop using nicotine products
-the nicotine product industry is worth a lot of money, but it also consumes a lot of natural resources
15. Favor energy produced by renewable resources
-renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind, are a more enviromentally friendly way to produce energy
Toni and Vili
Biodiesels are also a new way to make a difference. Biodiesel is made of vegetable oil- or animal fat. and it doesn’t pollute as much because the producing doesn’t require as much as toxic chemicals.
Otto and Julius